If you are planning a vacation this Summer, Basco Security urges you to set aside some time to review your home’s security and to make improvements before you go away. Walk around the perimeter of your home and objectively evaluate its vulnerability. Try to look at it the way an intruder or thief would. Here are some safety tips to consider:
- Make sure all doors to the outside have working locks. All windows, garage and shed doors should have working locks as well.
- Do yard work before you leave. If away for a long period of time make arrangements for someone to maintain the yard while you are away.
- Make sure your house number is clearly visible from the street.
- When away from home for an extended period of time, your neighbors and friends can be your best allies. Encourage them to report irregularities to the police. Ask them to check for any packages, mail or papers. Consider having the post office hold your mail and the news carrier stop delivery while you are away.
- Use ample exterior lighting over porches and walkways in the front and back of the house.
- Take a video or inventory of each room before leaving and never leave anything valuable in plain sight.
- Turn down the ringer on the phone and do not leave a message on the answering machine that you are away!
- Purchase small timers to connect to several lights and a radio; set them to turn on and off at irregular intervals.
- DO NOT broadcast your travel plans over social networking websites. Tech-savvy strangers can easily take advantage of any information you share with your Twitter and Facebook friends.
- DO run a test of your alarm system prior to leaving.
- DO notify Basco Security when you will be away and who you want contacted while you are away.
- DO provide relatives or friends with a key, and their own alarm code and password while you are away so they can respond to any emergency.
Cal Basco Security at 781-294-4166 to get a free estimate on your homes security installation this summer!
Leave A Comment