Personal Identification Numbers, or PINs, are something we depend on to protect the valuables in our lives. Not only are they used for your bank account, but they’re used to access your home and the important possessions in it. A study created by Data Genetics shows that almost 20% of PINs in the world are something as simple as “0000”, “1111” or “1234.” When your PIN is that easy to guess, you’re practically inviting criminals into your home. Basco Security has some security tips to increase your PIN and prevent criminals from entering your home.
- A very popular combination for your PIN is the year that you were born in. This is an issue because it typically comes down to the same two beginning numbers, 19xx, and all that’s left to guess is the last two. By using your birth year, you’re already giving the criminal a head start. If the criminal finds out your name, they can look you up on social media where there is plenty of information available, your birthday included.
- Another PIN combination mistake is using consecutive numbers, patterns and repeats. Popular combinations used are “1234”, “0000” and “1111”. To create a PIN that is easy for you to remember, but difficult for criminals, try the 1-800 approach. For instance, a turf installer might have you call this number, 1-800-555-TURF. The phone number ends up being 1-800-555-8873. Use this approach with a family name or pet and use the numbers that line up with the letters.
- Typically, your security system will come with a default PIN. We strongly suggest that you modify this PIN to a custom number. This way, you’re the only one who knows your pin and knows how to arm or disarm your security system.
- When having your security system installed, make sure that the control panel isn’t easily visible through your home’s window. There could be someone nearby that is close enough to see your PIN being entered.
- Make sure to change your PIN every year to avoid the wear and tear on pushing the same buttons time after time.
Keep your family and belongings safe by following our security tips for your PIN. If you are interested in our home security systems or would like a free estimate, contact Basco Security today! We can be reached by calling 781-294-4166 or by filling out our online contact form.